Feb 26, 2010

Johnny Weir...

...is made of awesome.  

Johnny Weir is what you get when you raise your children to strive to be the best human beings they can be; when you accept them for who they are...and love them out loud...they learn to express themselves so eloquently.  JW on his parents:

"I hope that more children have the same opportunities as me, with the same parents as me, that let me be an individual, who gave me freedom, and taught me to believe in myself before anyone else would believe in me. 

I hope more young boys and girls can grow up to have that love and support from their families, and it's very clear to me that those two men talking on that program did not have that kind of upbringing."

"The 25-year-old athlete was referring to observations made about his skating style and costumes by Claude Mailhot and Alain Goldberg of RDS, a French-language sports channel in Quebec.

"This may not be politically correct, but do you think he lost points due to his costume and his body language?" Mailhot said.

Goldberg responded that Weir's graceful mannerisms take the muscle out of male figure skating and damage the sport.

"They'll think all the boys who skate will end up like him," he said. "It sets a bad example."

The controversial commentary continued about the skater whose life is chronicled in the Sundance Channel documentary "Be Good Johnny Weir."

The men suggested that Weir, a three-time U.S. national figure skating champ, should take a gender test — and that he should skate against women."

We should all be free to be so comfortable in our own skin.   I love that he lives his fabulousness and genuinely seems to enjoy himself while everyone else worries and frets about the 'effect' of his sexuality.  Surely that explains placing 6th after skating a routine that reduced him to tears...as it did me.  Dude was totally robbed.

This is a guy that I would love to hang out with.  Good on ya, Johnny



No comments: