Oct 9, 2009

You might just live in Tennessee if...


When I lived in LA and was cranky and frustrated because someone had: 

a.) flipped me off while driving

b.) cut  me off while driving  

c.) was a jerk in general

I was able to retain some semblance of calm because I would always remind myself that I just didn't look good in orange.  By that, I meant LA County Jail orange.  I just knew that those jumpsuits just wouldn't do a thing for me; and with hips like mine, that's something to think about very seriously.

Now that I'm here I have to rethink that, because here... it's all about the orange.  University of Tennessee orange.

Every area has their local passion; here it's the UT Volunteers; "Vols" to the locals.  For me...if you can't put a saddle on it, I don't know about it.  And to give credit where credit is due, The Former Mr. Ryan put up with 23 years of my never being able to grasp the concept of football. Well, I kind of have no choice now.  And these folks are serious.

Need a Vols cake pan? Got it.  

Ice cube trays for that tailgate party?       Got it covered.

Muffin pan?   Yep, got it.


Sweater for your dog?            Of course.

Halloween decoration?       Hell yeah!


It's yet one of the many things about East Tennessee that are (in my opinion) pretty cool.  A sort of unifying agent.

This came to me courtesy of my cousin (and isn't everyone here my cousin?) Pauline, whose sheer awesomeness knows no bounds...

**********************************

Forget Rednecks!  Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about folks from Tennessee -- aka 'Orange necks.'

*********************************

If someone in a Lowe's store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Tennessee .

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Tennessee .

If your favorite season is called "It's Football Time in Tennessee !", you may live in Tennessee .

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Tennessee...

If 'Vacation' means going anywhere south of Knoxville for the weekend, you may live in Tennessee...

If you measure distance in hours or minutes, you may live in Tennessee...

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Tennessee ...

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you may live in Tennessee...

If you own several articles of orange clothing, you may live in Tennessee...

If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Tennessee...

If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80 and everybody's passing you, you may live in Tennessee...

If you find 60 degrees 'a little chilly', you may live in Tennessee...

If you know someone who has set the date of a wedding, a birth, or any other life changing event, only after consulting the UT football schedule, you may live in Tennessee...

If you actually understand these jokes you definitely live in Tennessee...

*********************************

So I've got yet another new thing to learn if I'm to hang out in the kitchen with the ladies in the family - while they watch football.

TFMR and Pauline, this one's for you....GO VOLS!


No comments: