Jul 9, 2009

Sissy Takes a Road Trip...For Reals!

Getting in the car and taking off in no particular direction is one of my favorite things to do. When I'm stressed, I drive. It's not unusual for me to find myself on the Riverside Freeway (heading to God knows where) at 2am, because I'm so freaked out/stressed out by life that I just have to soothe myself with the sound of the rubber meeting the road.

The past month or so has been enough to make a black woman want to take off her earrings and throw down with God. Job stress and craziness...money stress and craziness...and then I get the phone call that my mother is not well. At that point, I figured that one more thing added to the pile wouldn't break me; little did I know that her illness would be the thing to facilitate the road trip of my fantasies.

Miss Lillian (as she is known) is 88 years old, more than a little unstable - now with the added dimension of dementia. She has a myriad of age related health issues that have all decided to manifest at once. Independent well past the point of stubbornness, she has insisted on living alone; but that's come to an end, and her greatest fear - loss of autonomy - has been realized. Hence, her steadfast denial of the cancer they just happened to find while trying to manage her other matters.

Our relationship...well there isn't one...but personally, I think that since your parents were present at the beginning of your life; you should be there at the end of theirs. So it was off to Johnson City, TN for me. In fact, I've just arrived; and since sitting in a car for hours isn't conducive to my creative process, I've decided to give you the details once the wheels have stopped turning in my head. For now, I can take comfort in the fact that I'm on familiar ground...and that makes me happy.



It really does.

1 comment:

Vampire Hours said...

So glad you made it and, more than anything else, I'm so pleased to hear that you're HAPPY! Can't wait to hear the details and how you adjust to being back in your hometown with family and friends.